Boulevard Voltaire is a well-known boulevard in the 11th arrondissement of Paris. It was created by Baron Georges-Eugène Haussmann during the reign of French emperor Napoleon III. Originally named Boulevard du Prince-Eugène, it was renamed Boulevard Voltaire in 1870 in honour of the French Enlightenment writer, historian, and philosopher Voltaire.
The boulevard is a great axis joining two historical squares associated with the French revolution, the Place de la République and Place de la Nation and the boulevard is a main hub for left wing demonstrations with the Republic and Nation squares as the focal points.
The boulevard is lined with platanus trees. Important establishments on the boulevard include the municipality of the 11th arrondissement of Paris, the Church of Saint-Ambroise and Place Léon-Blum (formerly called Place Voltaire). It includes a bust of the French politician and three-time prime minister of France in whose name the square is named. The boulevard also has the Bataclan Theatre, built in 1864 by the architect Charles Duval. The boulevard, particularly between its cross-sections with boulevard Richard-Lenoir and Place Léon-Blum is host to great textile firms. The unpaired side of the boulevard also has a great number of entertainment and video stores.